Wow, three bentos in a row within three days ;)! I think I have made my husband very happy. The bento today was quite simple to make, except the three little bears, because I had to shape/cut out everything by hand...But I think in the end it's worth it, even though I can't wait for my bento accessories to arrive - imagine how much time I would save slaving away in the kitchen...!
The bears are just normal onigiri (plain white rice) decorated with nori eyes, salami nose and ham cheeks. I also steamed three Prawn and Chives Dumplings and made Korean Hot and Spicy Squid (Ohjinguh bokkeum) for the bento.
I adapted the recipe for the Ohjinguh bokkeum from Maangchi's site. The squid turned out delicious...!
Korean Hot and Spicy Squid - serves 2 - 4 people
- 1 kilogram squid, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 stalks green onions, cut into strips
- 2 medium onions, sliced thinly
- 1 - 2 carrots, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hot pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Korean hot pepper paste
- Toasted sesame seeds
- In a wok, or large cooking skillet, heat oil on high.
- Add minced garlic and fry until fragrant, about 20 seconds.
- Toss in carrots and onions. Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add squid, soy sauce, hot pepper flakes, hot pepper paste and sugar. Saute for a few minutes until the squid is cooked.
- Lastly, add green onions. Toss well to combine. Let cook for 1 minute.
- Sprinkles with toasted sesame seeds.