Monday, 5 May 2014

Disney Frozen Olaf Bento

Hello again, everyone:)! When was the last time I posted here? I think more than 2 months ago! I am such a lazy blogger ;). But well, I was actually working on a very exciting project which I will tell you in the near future :). For the time being, let me post this Olaf bento.


Everyone around seems to be crazy about "Frozen". My little niece sings the song "Let It Go" all the time and I started to wonder what was actually so great about this new Disney animation. So I watched the dvd last week, and the animation was fantastic, but story-wise, I think that there are other Disney films which are much more engaging and interesting - if you are a diehard Frozen fan, I apologise, I didn't mean to offend anyone...;)! I grew up watching Disney myself and I still think that older Disney animated films like "Beauty and the Beast", "Mulan" or even "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" better than "Frozen". I also watched "Tangled" a few weeks ago and found it much more engaging. Maybe I should watch "Frozen" for a second time and who knows, I might change my mind ;)?

Anyway, I was hesitating to put up this Olaf bento, since I wasn't actually happy with the result - the Olaf looks more like a little troll ;) and it was pretty challenging making him out of mini bocconcini. The photography doesn't help either. I am still relying on my little pocket camera and great weather (and today's weather sucks!). But since I don't want my blog to sort of die down, and it's also long overdue that I blog about this beautiful wooden bento box I got from CasaBento ages ago, I decided to showcase this not so pretty Olaf bento.

First, let's have a look at this little beauty!



This bento box is handmade with lacquared bamboo and costs €29.99. Like most other wooden bento boxes, this box is not dishwasher and microwave safe. But if you love traditional bento boxes, go for it, the quality is great and it looks gorgeous too.

Now, let's go back to the Olaf bento again. Even though it doesn't look very nice, it's pretty tasty. Olaf is made from bococcini - mini fresh mozzarella, and he is sitting on top of purple rice (a mixture of white and black rice). The sides include a few grape tomatoes, boiled egg,  cabbage kimchi, creamy meatballs with mushrooms and fruit.

Creamy Meatballs with Mushrooms
Ingredients

Pan-Fried Meatballs
  • 200 g ground pork
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
  • 1/2 tsp chicken stock powder, or to taste
  • pinch freshly ground pepper
  • 6 Tbsp almond meal (or 3 Tbsp flour)
  • oil for pan-frying
 Creamy Mushroom Sauce
  • 10 button mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 Tbsp chopped onion
  • 1 Tbsp oil
  • 6 Tbsp cream
  • 2 Tbsp white wine
  • chicken stock powder, to taste
  • freshly ground pepper, to taste
Instructions
  • Meatballs: Mix all the ingredients for the meatballs (except the oil). Shape into little balls and pan-fry until all the sides are golden brown and the meatballs are cooked through.
  • Sauce: Add oil to a well heated pan. Saute the chopped onion until lightly brown. Add the mushrooms and stir-fry for 1 minute. Stir in the cream and white wine. Season with chicken powder and pepper.
  • Add the pan-fried meatballs into the mushroom sauce and toss to coat. Serve.
Hopefully I can come up with another bento tomorrow or the day after. So, until next time :)!


Bookmark and Share

15 comments:

  1. Love ur purple rice colour!! And also love ur dishes...all look so yummy!! I think most kids love this Frozen movie ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen :). I love purple rice, it's a healthier alternative to white rice. I got into purple rice after eating some in the local Korean restaurants around here. It tastes really good too and you should definitely give it a try!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful way to get the kids to eat all the goodness. Blessings, Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to see you here again, Catherine :). I have been a real lazy blogger ;), I should check out your blog too, it's been some time :).

      Delete
  3. I think your Olaf is adorable! All of the kids in my class love Frozen- they'd love this for lunch. (me too) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :). I read that Frozen is the 2nd most successful animated films after The Lion King!

      Delete
  4. So cute! My kids will love to have a olaf bento! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try making a charaben too, Nami :), I am sure a wonderful cook like you could do it easily :)! But traditional bento certainly has its own charm, and is much more time-effective.

      Delete
  5. "DO you want to build a snowman?"..to the tune of one of Frozen soundtrack :) ..Well, you sure did, in building Olaf.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, Frozen was cute movie but not on my top 5 Disney animation movies list. Anyway, this bento looks yummy! You're very creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, I think there are better ones out there!
      Thanks for your compliment, Nippon Nin :)!

      Delete
  7. Woow this is such a lovely book, congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I meant to comment on the book post don't know how it got here :). Anyways they are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol ;), no worries, and thank you :)!

      Delete

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...