Stir-Fried Shirataki Noodles with Spicy Ground Pork

27 comments


A few days ago I bought 4 small packets of Shirataki noodles. I had never tried them in my life but I had a pretty a good idea of what it might taste, since it's made from konjac plant/konyakku and I love konyakku jelly. At the moment I am trying to reduce my carbohydrate and sugar intakes (which is very hard because I love my STARCHY rice and noodles...!!), I thought I should really give these so-called 'miracle noodles' - no calories, no sodium, and almost 0 carbs, a try.

I have to say I was not disappointed. The noodles taste like cellophane noodles but thicker, quite similar to Korean Daang Myun noodles which are usually used to make Japchae, but slightly chewier. I thought chewy noodles would taste better spicy, that's why I used Chinese hot bean sauce and Szechuan crispy chilli in oil (look at the picture below) to stir-fry the noodles.


Szechuan Crispy Chilli in Oil.
When you go to your local Asian grocery store, watch out for glass jars with a picture of this man - he makes very very tasty sauces...! Just absolutely gorgeous!

Shirataki noodles have a rather unpleasant smell, rather fishy I would say, that's why before you stir-fry the noodles, make sure you rinse and pat them dry.

Ingredients - serves 2
  • 400 g Shirataki noodles
  • 300 g ground pork
  • 2 tbs oil
  • 1 tbs minced garlic
  • 1 tbs fish sauce
  • 1 tbs hot bean sauce
  • 1 tbs Szechuan crispy chilli in oil
  • 1 tbs oyster sauce
  • 1/ 2 cup chopped green onions
  • 1 cup bean sprouts
  • 1/2 tsp white pepper
Instructions
  • Heat 2 tbs oil in a wok.
  • Add the minced garlic and ground pork. Stir fry for 1-2 minutes until the ground pork is slightly brown.
  • Add fish sauce, hot bean sauce, crispy chili and oyster sauce. Simmer for 3 minutes.
  • Quickly add the noodles and stir until well combined.
  • Toss in the bean sprouts, green onions and add a dash of pepper. Stir fry for another 1 minute.
  • Serve!


For people who have to take care of their carb-intake, make sure that you check the labels and ingredients for ready-made sauces. They usually have sugar and thus some hidden carbs - so don't use too much!


Bookmark and Share
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

27 comments:

  1. THis dish looks simply fantastic....there really is no need to say more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have a jar or two of the same crispy chili in my pantry. I eat it with my noodles and dumplings :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need this for lunch tomorrow. I love all the bean sprouts there. Looks very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me encanta este tipo de platitos, deliciosos.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  5. this chilli oil is my favourite brand as well....=)....This dish looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely Droolworthy noodles. Delicious looking meal.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this stir-fry! Full of flavours and texture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL that man indeed looks...tasty! LOL LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. enak ya shirataki noodles, kenyel2 hehehee...gua pernah coba dulu...
    eh iya itu chilli oilnya pernah liat di sini, nanti ikutan beli juga deh...selama ini gua pake yg thai punya

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very very good!!!! ;-)
    Buon week end Cara kisses.-**

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely dish. a really healthy meal for people who are trying to lose weight like me :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have to look out for these noodles! Love the sound of it - chewy..!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never heard of Shirataki noodles...will check out my nearest Japanese grocery store the next time! THe noodles don't look any different from the starchy noodles - which is the good part of everything!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like this dish, love with lots of bean spouts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very creative! Never thought of using shirataki noodles for a stir-fry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello there! This is crazy. I've been looking for chili oil for a recipe I want to try. This would be perfect. What great timing.

    Hope alls well with you. Have a terrific 2011 and keep cookin/bloggin.

    Keri
    samwich365.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love to try out new pasta/noodle dishes and this one has made my "to make" list. All i need to do is find that schezuan sauce and i may use chicken or beef since i don't eat pork but even then, i am sure this would taste wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My goodness, this must be so flavourful with the spicy bean sauce. And you made it looks so inviting. Thanks for sharing. Hope you're having a great day.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  19. This look really delicious, and I feel so hungry now, despite already having my light breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this brand ...it just make everything more tasty!
    Beautiful presentation of noodles too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG we love the szechaun crispy chili oil. It goes great with a lot of asian dishes. Yours looks absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  22. The picture on the jar is of a woman, lol. That looks absolutely delicious, i've never tried shiritaki noodels but i bet they're a life saver for dieters

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG. please post a link to buy the oil online - i've looked in stores and can't find it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great looking recipe, but that man on the sauce be a woman...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can you please post a photo of the hot bean sauce for this stir-fry Shirataki noodles with spicy pork?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Looks delicious. Could you please post a photo of the hot bean sauce?

    ReplyDelete