Szechuan Wontons

17 comments


I have been eating wontons all my life, so they are not a novelty to me. I have been eating them in different varieties, such as in soups, as accompaniments for other dishes or deep fried. When I saw Szechuan Wontons recipe in my Wei Chuan Chinese Rice and Noodles cooking book, I got so curious, especially because spicy Szechuan dishes normally suit my tastebud. So I thought trying to make Szechuan wontons cannot be wrong. And... I wasn't wrong, the wontons turned out delicious!

What makes Szechuan wontons different is the sauce - the Szechuan style sauce, poured over the boiled wontons. I had made this dish twice and the second time I adjusted and added a few ingredients for the sauce to my liking.

Ingredients

Wontons
  • 40 wonton skins
  • 200 gr ground pork
  • 100 gr chopped prawns
  • 1 tbs minced ginger (optional)
  • 2 tbs oyster sauce
  • 1 tbs fish sauce
  • 1 tbs sesame oil
  • 1 tbs cooking wine
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp pepper
  • 2-3 tbs chopped green onions
Mix all ingredients (except the wonton skins of course ;-)). Put a teaspoon of filling in the centre of the wonton skin. You can look at how I fold my wontons here. You can also stop in step 4, instead of going to step 6. Boil the wontons.

Szechuan Sauce
  • 5 tbs chilli oil
  • 4 tbs Chinkiang vinegar (black rice vinegar)
  • 1 tbs minced garlic (or fried garlic)
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 2 tbs chopped green onion
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 1 tsp minced ginger (optional)
Simply mix all ingredients for the sauce, and then pour over the boiled wontons. Serve.





Bookmark and Share
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

17 comments:

  1. This looks so good! I will definitely try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS Do you prefer steaming to boiling?Thank you..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, very beautiful wontons! The chili oil makes them look even more tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Table De Nana - It really depends what kind of dumplings you make. I think for wontons, either boiling for frying is better.
    @KennyT - Thank you:), they were indeed tempting, they're finished in seconds...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those wontons look heavenly delicious. You really can cook!
    Let me guess...you don't use this pair of chopsticks to eat, do you? Because I notice there's a chopstick box nearby. ;-)

    Angie's Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Angie- Haha, you got me there ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love wonton... Love jiaozi... Love xiao long bao... Love anything related to dumplings, hehehe

    Yummm... the sauce sounds so wonderful especially with the black vinegar, red pepper flakes and ginger! Ah.. you make me craving for dumplings right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had tried this before in Shanghai, only different of wrapping the wanton. I think yours look perfect :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Selba - I also love almost everything related to dumplings...:) Another Hi5 ;-)!

    @Anncoo and HA - Thank you :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love wontons, yours are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...another great wonton. I label you the wonton Queen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is a great idea to splash the sauce over the wontons...they look sooo yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. We had this at ChaChaMoon, a restaurant in London. My husband can't stop thinking about it an insisted that I should make this at home. I found your website and going to give it try very soon. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. can you make the wantons ahead of time and freeze them and then boil and add the sauce later?

    ReplyDelete