I made shrimp bisque a few days ago. I was (and actually still am) in the mood for eating something soupy and warm. It's a very tasty yet easy-to-prepare appetiser, which would delight anyone, especially during winter time.
I added some 'soup pearls' to my shrimp bisque. Basically 'soup pearls' are like round croûtons. I got to know these gems when I visited my MIL and she treated me with a bowl of delicious chicken broth topped with soup pearls. A real pleasingly crunchy addition to your soups :)!
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 4-5 tbs olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 can (peeled and seeded) tomatoes
- 500 g shrimps, peeled and deveined
- 1 l chicken stock (or seafood stock)
- 150 ml white wine
- 125 ml double cream
- 2 tbs cognac
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 tbs dried tarragon
- 1 tbs Crème fraîche
- 2 tbs flour (mixed with 50 ml of water)
- Soup pearls
- Heat olive oil in a large pot. Add chopped onion and carrot. Sauté until soft.
- Add shrimps and tomatoes and cook under medium heat for around 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, wine, cream and tarragon. Cook for another 3 minutes.
- Puree the soup mixture in a food processor.
- Return the pureed soup into the pot. Add salt, pepper, butter, cognac and crème fraîche. Stir for about 1 minute.
- To thicken the soup, add the flour+water mixture to the soup and stir for another 1 minute.
- Serve the soup hot. Garnish with soup pearls and cream.