I thought about making a bento lunch today, but I finally decided to make a 'normal' meal which wouldn't take so much time to make, since I still had to do a lot of packing.
This soup tastes quite similar to my Szechuan Noodles with Wontons and Meatballs, but this udon noodles soup has got more toppings and looks indeed prettier ;).
Ingredients - serves 2
- 400 g Udon noodles
- 250 g ground pork
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- 3 tbs 'Fried pork with chili in oil'
- 2 tbs oyster sauce
- Dashi powder to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 800 ml water
- Chopped green onions
- Topping suggestions: store-bought meatballs, fish balls, shiu mai, chikuwa (fish cake), shrimps, you tiao (Chinese bread stick), boiled egg, mushrooms and sugar snap peas.
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a wok.
- Toss in the ground pork and chopped onion and stir fry until slightly brown.
- Add fish sauce, 'fried pork with chili in oil', oyster sauce and pepper.
- Simmer the meat sauce, stirring occasionally until cooked through.
- Add 800 ml water and dashi powder to taste.
- Add udon noodles and the toppings (except the you tiao) and cook for a few minutes.
- Garnish with green onions and you tiao slices.