Heya folks, here I am again :)! I didn't make any bentos today though, as I have not been in the mood of making any bento meals in the last couple of weeks. But I've got this beautiful grilled steak with balsamic teriyaki sauce to show you instead :). The recipe is adapted from Jaden Hair's Steamy Kitchen cookbook. I am sure if you like Asian food, you would have heard or seen the hugely popular website Steamy Kitchen which specialises on modern Asian recipes. Now let's hop on to the recipe!
Grilled Seak with Balsamic Teriyaki - Serves 4
Adapted from The Steamy Kitchen Cookbook
500 g steak
2 Tbsp cooking oil
Balsamic Teriyaki Sauce
1.5 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
250 ml balsamic vinegar
2 tsp sugar
65 ml beef/chicken stock
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp mirin (sake, or red/white wine will do too)
1 Tbsp Korean red pepper flakes - optional
- To make the sauce: heat butter to a saucepot. When the butter starts to bubble, add shallots and garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour the balsamic vinegar and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the stock, sugar, soy sauce, mirin and Korean red pepper flakes. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Let cool. Reserve 1/2 of the sauce for marinating and the remaining for serving.
- Marinate the steak for 2 hours or overnight.
- Grill the steak!
- Serve with the remaining Balsamic Teriyaki sauce over the meat.