Seafood Ddukbokkie - Spicy Korean Rice Cakes with Seafood

7 comments


When I went to Frankfurt last weekend, I had the chance to visit an Asian grocery store which is one of the biggest I know around the Hessen area. I was so happy when I saw fresh Korean rice cakes available in the store, I directly grabbed two packets and put them in my shopping basket.

A few months ago I made Rabokki, Korean rice cakes with ramen noodles, seasoned with Korean hot pepper paste. Unfortunately I had to use dried sliced Chinese rice cakes for the Rabokki, instead of the usual Korean cylinder-shaped rice cakes. It was good, but I knew that fresh rice cakes would make the dish taste even better!

This time I wanted to make the more popular Ddubokkie - simply rice cakes without the ramen noodles. Personally I find most Ddubokkie recipes too sweet and too bland, so this time I simply cooked the Ddubokkie to my liking - hot and savoury, instead of hot and sweet.

Seafood Ddubokkie
  • 500 gram fresh (cylinder-shaped) Korean rice cakes, cooked in boiling water for 2 minutes
  • 1 tablespoon cooking oil
  • 200 grams seafood (prawns, clams, squid, etc)
  • 100 grams chicken fillet, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 100 grams fish cakes, sliced
  • 3 bird's eye chillies, seeded and sliced
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons fish sauce
  • 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
  • 2 tablespoons Gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
  • 50 ml water
  • 1 tablespoon hot pepper flakes (or to your taste)
  • Sugar to taste
  • 2 tablespoons chopped green onions

Instructions

  • Heat oil in a skillet. Add garlic and fish cakes and stir fry for one minute.
  • Add chicken, seafood, bird's eye chilli slices and fish sauce. Mix well and cook over medium heat until the chicken pieces are slightly brown.
  • Toss in all the other ingredients (except green onions) and cook for around 3 minutes. Coat the rice cakes well with the sauce.
  • Lastly, add green onions, mix well and turn off the stove.



<span class=
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

7 comments:

  1. Look spicy but I love ddubokkie! Very beautiful presentation, CG!

    ReplyDelete
  2. colourful and delicious rice dish

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try this. I have made your Rabokki (yummy) and will be sure to use them in this recipe. Thank you for sharing your wonderful talents. Your photography is beautiful, your food is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely appetising dish! I'm also recently cooking a lot of Korean dishes (have just bught another cabbage to make more kimchi!). Many Japanese ingredients can also be used in Korean cuisine, so it's very practical too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried similar rice cakes long time ago...hmmm...I believe they are the Shanghai rice cakes - the shape almost look similar. Not so sure abt the texture similarity though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another delicious recipe, this is great for dinner as a main course or side dish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww I love ddubokki too! Always saw this in Korean dramas. Will try to make it based on this recipe next time. I usually just bought it from the local Korean canteen or bought a ready made ddubokki sauce, it's quite nice but probably not very healthy. I like to add boiled eggs too to my ddubokki. I agree usually it's very spicy and sweet, definitely will try this recipe next time.

    ReplyDelete