Jjamppong - Korean Spicy Noodle Soup

6 comments
The last time I ate Jjamppong was at a Korean restaurant, called Seoul Ria in Sydney China Town. It was about three years ago and at that time I didn't even know that this delicious, spicy soup is called Jjamppong. The only thing I remembered about this soup was that it was red hot, full with seafood, vegetables and udon-like noodles. But then, I stumbled upon Maangchi's beautiful website some time ago and found the detailed recipe inclusive a video of how to make Jjamppong - noodle soup with seafood, meat and vegetables and it was red! I thought, "This must be recipe of the Korean soup I have been looking for...!!" I was so excited when I found it and finally decided to give a try two days ago. The soup tasted great, just like the one I had in Sydney! Thank you, Maangchi :).
Here is my adapted version of Maangchi's Jjamppong. I used dashi instead of making the stock myself with anchovies, etc. I also excluded the pork and vegetables, because I didn't have them. If you want to look at the original version, please look here.

Jjamppong

Serves 1

Ingredients

Calories

200 g udon noodles

230

1 clove garlic, minced

4

¼ medium onion, chopped

13

½ tsp minced ginger

1

1 tbs olive oil

120

1 tbs oyster sauce

1

1 tbs fish sauce

1

½ tbs hot pepper flakes (mixed with 1 tbs of oil)

128

5 shrimps

45

A few pieces of squid, ca. 80 g

74

400 ml water

0

2 tsp dashi granules

20

½ cup leeks, cut into 2cm pieces

14

½ boiled egg

35

TOTAL

686 calories per serving



Please look at this video from Maangchi to see how to make Jjamppong.



Bookmark and Share
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

6 comments:

  1. looks yum2...
    gua jg suka liat resep2 maangchi...enaknya ada video cara bikinnya, jd jelas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I love your blog a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks really great! I thought these greens atop were chives. Where did you get them from? Asian stores?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie, thanks you for the correction! It's meant to be chives (which I bought in a local Asian grocery nearby), I don't know why I wrote leeks instead of chives, would correct it now ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!! i gotta cook this soup soon! i like Maangchi too! her video are awesome and she's very sweet too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the addition of egg, will definitely try in my Korean soup recipe:http://www.cookeatdelicious.com/pasta-recipes/spicy-korean-noodle-soup.html
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete