Kuririn the Hamster Bento

34 comments



Well, the character doesn't really look like Kuririn I guess, because I didn't make her wear her smashed apple (??) hat. If you don't know who Kuririn is, she is a character from Sanrio (a Japanese company that produces kawaii merchandises). I tried to make some Sanrio characters in the past with cookies, there you could see the characters better because I could handpaint the characters on sugar fondant. Shaping a character with rice is a totally different thing...! I find it much more difficult. And I should have used stronger coloured ham for the mouth because I think it looks so pale it's almost invisible. And by the way, in case you're curious how I shaped the hamster - I used saran wrap, which makes the job much easier and cleaner too. I always thought in the past that bento makers shaped their bento characters with bare hands (and to be very honest, I've always admired those people's works but I never could imagine that I would be able to eat 'kyaraben' bento just because I have never been into people touching my food. But after some time I found out that most bento makers use saran wrap when they make onigiri or other cute characters with rice - I find this actually very relieving...;)!

Anyway, I am quite proud that I could produce such a bento after work. Normally I always feel demotivated to do anything after work...:).

I filled my bento with chicken nuggets, green beans/salami rolls, Hawaiian toast, har gao, pork dumplings, Chinese-style stir-fried chicken, taro mochi, fruit and lots of greens.

The Chinese-style stir fried chicken was a leftover from yesterday. This time I used this condiment below. I bought it at the weekend in my local Asian grocery store, because now I am always on the lookout for new, interesting-looking condiments - especially after I found a beautiful Szechuan condiment some time ago, which I used for making this dish (and I abso-freaking-lutely loved it!). I have to say it doesn't taste bad at all. It's spicy and very aromatic with some chopped Chinese mustards and string beans inside. A must have if you want to create quick, easy yet tasty stir-fried dishes.



Anyway, that's it for now... Good night everyone! I can't wait for the weekend to come...!



Bookmark and Share
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

34 comments:

  1. i'm amazed about your bento ,that is real art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Que preciosidad de platos, eres un artista.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  3. I amazed by your bento making abilities. awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha! HAMTAROOOOO (:

    so cute, i love the colors of the berries~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wiedereinmal echt Klasse, deine Bilder sehen auch immer so professionell aus, dagegen kommen meine Fotos echt nicht an, hast du eine "Gute" Kamera? Was nimmst du immer als Untergrund *neugierig*

    Die Klöße auf dem Bild, machst du die immer selber oder gibts die irgendwo zu kaufen?

    Sorry das ich so viel Frage, aber irgendwann möchte ich auch einmal an solche Bentos rankommen, bzw. meine verbessern :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, I take my food pictures and think they look pretty good and then I come visit your site and well, lets just say it looks amazing! If I was ever this creative I would have a hard time messing it all up by eating it! Although it probably taste so fab to not dig right in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that sauce too! I can finish the whole bowl of rice with that (as indicated in the name :-))
    Your bento box is adorable - I wouldn't eat it, I will just keep it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super pics and delicious recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  9. what's used to color the rice? very curious ehhehe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi CJ
    Bento looks so cute with all the ingredients. Loved the decoration.
    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Becoming a great fan of ur bentos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. First confession is that I was already salivating at the har gao and pork dumpling before the scroll reaches the adorable hamster! Hehe, nice job that you manage any energy left after work~ I think I've said it dozen times, KAWAII!

    ReplyDelete
  13. so lovely...!
    the bento looks delicious to me :b

    ReplyDelete
  14. The hamster seems so alive. Look at the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute bento as always. Glad to see you're having fun with this bento making. Plastic wrap is a great idea for this - definitely much cleaner. I've never tried that condiment before. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adorable! Wish someone would make me a Sanrio inspired bento box!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute bento! Everything looks yummy! I especially would like to try your har gao!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute! I mean your bento. haha.... I thought you're making Hamtaro. I love that charactor too. Thanks so much for sharing this. Yes, I too think the mouth need a deeper colour.
    Have a great day.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  19. mo ngapain di akhir weekend ini Sin ? bikin Bento lagikah ? lo buat abis plng kerja ampunn ga cape apa ? itu smua bhn pelengkap udah ready yah ? dumpling , ha kau , nugget ect !
    itu yg biru2 bulet apaan sih ?
    ehh iya g kasih Award diambil yah di Blog aku hehee !kl uda perna dapet yah gapa2 deh .

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow also ganz ehrlich Du brauchst gar keine Bento Accessoirs Deine Bentos sehen so schon echt super aus ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. your bento is so cute!! I love your blog! I put your adresse in my blog list on parikkobento.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. so many cute bentos! too pretty to eat as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. im pretty amazed that you can make this after work too! haha the fresh berries make such a nice touch to the bento.
    if i have a bento like this to take to work, id be smiling all the way there!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your bentos are absolutely beauty!!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  25. even though you used a saran wrap to do this, it still take up alot of effort and time to gather all these together..simply awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So cute! And your bentos are always so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  27. @ Manja - Hallo Manja, ich habe eigentlich keine gute Kamera... Naja, sie ist gut, aber nicht wie, was Du vielleicht denkst. Ich benutze eine normale digitale Kamera (Canon SX200), aber ich kann sie auch nicht richtig benutzen, ich benutze nur den automatik Modus...*schäm*. Ich verbessere meine Bilder immer mit 'Picasa' und 'Gimp'. Du kannst sie gratis in Internet downloaden.

    Und...ich habe die Klöße nicht selbst gemacht diesmal, ich habe sie von Asia Markt gekauft. Aber wenn Du sie, selbst machen möchtest, ich habe ziemlich viele Dim Sum Rezepte in meinem Blog, z.B.
    http://cookinggallery.blogspot.com/2009/10/har-gao-shrimp-crystal-dumplings.html

    und


    http://cookinggallery.blogspot.com/2010/08/kuotie-chinese-indonesian-pan-fried.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. @ Mochachocolata Rita - I used soy sauce to brown the rice. Tasted quite good actually together with the white rice and all the other things in the bento...:).

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow...you have done all the arrangement well.

    ReplyDelete
  30. That would be such a delight to eat! Well done, it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. But I notice that it has two pink cheeks and the flower decor on its hair is really a lovely highlight. Have a nice weekend : ).

    ReplyDelete
  32. almost too cute to eat! You're making a hamster lover squeal with delight!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That looks delicious! And the berries give the bento such a beautiful contrast

    ReplyDelete
  34. Very beautiful ! :)

    ReplyDelete