White Koala Bulgur Pilaf Bento

12 comments


Don't worry...No koalas have been harmed during my bento making process ;). Do you know that koalas are not only grey but there are some white ones too even though they're quite rare ? I wanted to make another koala-themed bento because I really like my first koala bento. I thought about using quail eggs and colouring them grey (but I really didn't know (and still don't know) how to get grey-coloured eggs), but then I remembered that not all koalas are grey, there are white ones too, how convenient, in the end I didn't even have to colour anything:). I decided to use mini mozzarella cheese instead of quail eggs to make the two mini white koalas, because I like the idea of eating pilaf with mozzarella. These mozzarella koalas are made out of: mozarella cheese, nori for eyes, black olive for the nose and chili sauce for the rosy cheeks.

I also made bulgur pilaf for today's bento. I'd never eaten bulgur in my life, so I was very curious. I invented the recipe myself and I was quite happy with the result, bulgur is definitely something that I would eat from time to time when I am bored with normal white rice, it's healthier too because it doesn't have as much carb as white rice.

The right bento box is a normal salad bento with rucola, cherry tomatoes, quail eggsy, mozzarella, radish, croûtons, majoram, olive oil and ground black pepper.



Bulgur Pilaf
  • 250 grams bulgur
  • 500 ml water (I think...)
  • 4 mini green chili peppers, seeded and sliced thinly
  • 2 mini yellow peppers, seeded and sliced thinly
  • 2 mini red peppers, seeded and sliced thinly
  • 2 mini orange peppers, seeded and sliced thinly
  • 1 tablespoons minced/chopped garlic
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 4 dried chillies
  • 80 grams green beans, cut into 5 cm pieces
  • 200 grams turkey breast, cut into cubes
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons tomato puree
  • chicken powder to taste
  • A pinch of paprika powder, garlic powder and cumin powder

Don't forget, my giveaway ends TONIGHT, 31st May 2011, at midnight GMT +1. Click the banner below to find the details and enter the giveaway...!

http://cookinggallery.blogspot.com.au/2011/05/bento-giveaway.html
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

12 comments:

  1. Cooking we love so much Bulgur and pilaf so this is amazing and sooo cute!!

    My daugther said may she learn with you??? She adore Bentos! LOL
    gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Yummychunklet - probably one day, I'll make more koala-themed bentos ;).

    @ Gloria - Thank you, Gloria...:)! I feel honoured that even your daughter visits my blog, if she lived nextdoor I wouldn't mind making bento together with her ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi CG,
    often I don't leave any comment to your postings, it's not becoz I'm not interested or I don't read it or anything, but I just don't want to make u bored with my always the same kind of amazement and gasps of all your extraordinary creations! such a pro you are! many thumbs up :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I really didn't know that there are white koalas! :P
    Did you cook your bulgur like fried rice? It looks so delicious!
    Since the day you used the mini mozarella cheese in your bentos, I kept searching for it but too bad, I can't find any here. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi CG,

    You have always amazed me with your beautiful bentos. White koalas look so cute. Great preparation.
    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you use colorful produce.. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is way too adorable! And what a great idea to use bulghur!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great bento, as usual! That pilaf looks very tasty...gonna have to try that :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. delicious bulgur pilaf and beautiful bento

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goodness, CG! Your bento looks so amazing! Now I have you and Lyn to check on in case I find the time to make bentos for my girls!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmm. I´m getting hungry x3

    ReplyDelete