Yaki Gyoza: Japanese-Style Pan-Fried Dumplings

27 comments


Yesterday I made yaki gyoza (Japanese-style pan-fried dumplings). I have made quite some varieties of dumplings in the past, simply because dumplings are one of my favourite foods. This time I used the recipe from Cooking With Dog, I am sure a lot of you are aware of this cute cooking channel in YouTube, if not you should definitely check it out...! It's my absolute favourite channel in YouTube and I have followed this channel since two years ago. I love the humour written at channel's header too "Cooking with Dog - It's not what you think" ;).

I have tried making gyoza in the past, but I never really knew how to pan-fry them correctly. Just look at my Chinese/Indonesian pan-fried dumplings. Do you see how ugly the bottom parts look ;)? Thanks to Cooking with Dog, now I know.

Yaki Gyoza


  • 120g Ground Pork
  • 100g Cabbage
  • 50g Onion
  • 50g Nira - Garlic Chives
  • 1/2 tbsp Soy Sauce
  • 1/2 tsp Sugar
  • A pinch of Pepper
  • 1 tbsp Sake
  • 1/2 tbsp Sesame Oil
  • 1 tbsp Potato Starch
  • 1 tsp Grated Garlic
  • 1/2 tsp Grated Ginger
  • 1/2 tbsp Oyster Sauce
  • 25 Gyoza Skins
  • 1 tbsp Sesame Oil
  • Flour for dusting
Gyoza Dipping Sauce
  • 1 tbsp Black/White Vinegar
  • 1 tsp Soy Sauce
  • Chili oil or sesame oil



Happy with the result, my husband loves the gyoza too :)!


Bookmark and Share
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

27 comments:

  1. Yum, I just love fried dumplings! Love the way you shape them, the ones I make are flatter and less adorable...

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good right now! Is it bad that I could eat the whole platter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo!!!!C'est vraiment joli et très réussi.
    Ça doit être délicieux en plus.
    A très bientôt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love them! Although I make them Vegetarian :-)ciao
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS
    these are my vegetarian gyoza, just in case you are interested (I know that you are not a vegetarian, but if you have a veggie guest for dinner... :-)
    http://alessandrazecchini.blogspot.com/2010/11/mushroom-tofu-and-coriander-dumplings.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my dear you always working! and of course this look absolutely yummy, xx gloria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow.... these look amazing, I want dumplings so much right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look perfect! I just love gyoza. Vegetable, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious! I just learned about Cooking with Dog from Kay (I think you know her). It's funny videoclips and I was amazed how fast the lady moves and cooks (very efficient). I'm not very good with watching videoclips for cooking (I get distracted) but it was fun to watch one clip. Anyway, your gyoza looks great! My kids love gyoza and they can eat all the time! I hide all sorts of veggies in there. Hehehee.

    ReplyDelete
  10. these look really good, i'll chck it out and try them

    ReplyDelete
  11. These gyoza look great! The addition of garlic chives must make it very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My goodness...you did your gyoza so well! I've been planning to make gyoza for so long but I always end up buying the ready made ones from Costco. I'm so glad I found your recipe! I'm really excited to try it soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. OH, I. LOVE. THESE. Your husband is a blessed man, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like Gyoza too, but I'm lazy to make the skin. Can't find the ready made skin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks absolutely yummy! Lucky hubby! I would really love to have some of these!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh ich liebe Gyoza. <3 Und das sieht so lecker aus q____q Jetzt hab ich Hunger! :3

    Ich habe dir übrigens einen Award verliehen. :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Once again, a pretty presentation and tempting gyozas.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gyoza is one of my favorite starter! Yours look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a beautiful dish. I could make this with chicken. Would love to see this on my table.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi CG! I love yaki gyoza and this is one of the sure-will-order side-dish if we go to the Sushi Restaurant! :D
    Yes! Yes! That channel-Cooking with Dog is so cute and that's one of the channels I watched when I 1st started bento-ing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. One of my favorite dishes of all time!!!! I'd eat the entire plate...that would be wrong wouldn't it???


    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I haven't made gyoza for such a long time... I usually make the Korean mandu dumplings (with meat and tofu). I have always found difficult the pan-frying too! Now I know where to look for the tips. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love gyoza, I make it often, once you have the technique down it's so easy. I watch Cooking with Dog too, Francis' voice always makes me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love gyoza alot. I dipped them in vinegar coupled with fine ginger slices.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your Gyoza looks delicious. I love Gyoza too. Just wonder, can I substitute the sake with chinese cooking wine?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I like to do the same thing when I make gyozas! Yours look beautiful! I also like watching Cooking with Dog, I need to make some this weekend and maby try a new recipe!

    ReplyDelete