Beef Sukiyaki

7 comments


I made beef sukiyaki today, something that both my husband and I enjoy :). This is nevertheless the much simpler version because I only used beef, konyakku and shiitake mushrooms. I added soft-yolked egg instead of raw egg, because both of us don't eat raw eggs.

Beef Sukiyaki
(Adapted from Cooking with Dog)
  • 100 ml sake
  • 50 ml mirin
  • 50 ml soy sauce
  • 2 tbs sugar
  • Thinly sliced beef
  • 1 soft-yolked egg (cook for 6 minutes under boiling water)
  • Shiitake mushrooms
  • Sliced green onions
Salad with Easy Vinaigrette Dressing
  • Rucola
  • Cherry tomatoes
  • Corn kernels
  • Lettuce
  • Radish
  • Mozzarella cheese
  • Paprika
Vinaigrette Dressing
  • Juice from 2 lemons
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 tbs vinegar
  • 1/2 tbs sugar
  • 1/4 tbs garlic powder
  • 1/4 tbs paprika powder
  • Dried basil
  • Dried majoram
  • Black pepper
If you want to make the more elaborate version of sukiyaki, you can watch this video from Cooking with Dog (this is their first video I think, no background music yet, a bit weird to see the typical 'Minute Waltz' from Chopin missing in the video ;)).






We ate the sukiyaki with steamed brown rice because our stock for white rice is gone - which is probably good ;). By the way, I love eating sukiyaki with seasoned roasted seaweed, very yummy....:)!



As you can see, the sukiyaki beef doesn't look ideal because it's rather thick, bur I tried my best to slice it thinly;).

Anyway, I want to end this post with a song which I really like. I am sure most of you are familiar with this song 'Hallelujah' by Leonard Cohen. But the version I am showing below is an interpretation from four Norwegian singers. I like the melody of the song and how emotional it sounds. Enjoy!




Bookmark and Share
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

7 comments:

  1. I have never had sukiyaki! The Norwegian singers' version is beautiful (before watching I expected it to be in Norwegian ;-)).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sukiyaki! I has been awhile! Love your dish and thanks for the video reference too! It really helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi CG! I'm beginning to love your soft boiled eggs! ^.^
    Nice rolls of konyakku! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Sissi- You should give a try because sukiyaki is very easy to make and tastes wonderful too...:)!

    @ FGF - Glad that it helps, let's thank CWD :D)

    @ Lyn - The konyakku noodles were already rolled like that when I bought them, so I wouldn't take the credit;).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm yum! Sukiyaki is so easy to make and it's my kids' favorite (and my favorite because I don't have to "cook" by myself). I like you adding the song at the end. I can listen while I write... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh! Love hot pot! Very yummy dish, that egg looks super tasty too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot believe I've never had sukiyaki :O - this would totally be my kind of dish! And I love this "Cooking with Dog" series, it's soooooo funny! (I always watch the vids you put on here.) Okay, this one doesn't have Chopin :( but the "Tadaahh!" at 2:20 almost makes up for it. ;)

    ReplyDelete