Piggy Hello Kitty Bento

34 comments

Yay, it's weekend...:)! And double yay that we have a long weekend here in Germany :D)!! I am feeling slightly better than yesterday and the opera was quite nice (I know I wrote 'concert' yesterday, but it's not true, I was too tired and just wrote whatever without thinking much). My husband's colleague composed one of the pieces performed in the opera and we were invited to watch it. The music was beautiful but the story was a bit weird. It's actually a story about the legendary Sumerian King, Gilgamesh, but it only contains about 2% of the real story. I think people who have no background knowledge of the legend would have difficulty understanding what the opera is about. Anyway, it was a nice experience, because I had never been to a real theater before, in the past I only had the chance to watch a ballet performance 'Swan Lake' and some piano concerts.

I went to the gym this morning, so all my bones are still somehow sore (and I know tomorrow it's going to get even worse... ;)). I've started going to the gym since last week, with the hope to live healthier, since I spend too much time sitting down in front of the computer. I thought about not doing any bentos today and only wanted to relax and enjoy my long weekend. But then this little sweetie below arrived - my new bento box from CasaBento :)!!



I LOVE wooden bento boxes! They look traditional and elegant. This is my second wooden bento box. My first one has got the same colour and is made of the same material, Wappa wood, but the shape is oval instead of round. Check out some awesome traditional bento boxes here!

Some people who have visited CasaBento website in the past will notice that the website has got a new look now, which I think is fantastic. It is now much more organised and easier to navigate.



This bento box has two tiers, the bottom part is deeper, around 8 cm, and you can fill it in with quite a lot of food. The top tier is around 4 cm high.

One thing which is not so practical about this bento box is it's not microwave- and dishwasher-safe. Since I am somebody who loves her dishwasher, I wasn't very happy about this fact. But in the end I got used to manually washing my (first) wooden bento box and it normally takes me less than a minute to wash it, so it's really okay after all (yes, call me lazy...;)!!).




I filled in my new bento box with Hello Kitty onigiri in piggy suit plus some pan-fried wontons, radishes, mini peppers, tamagoyaki, deli-meat flower and lettuce.

The piggy suit is made out of eggsheet coloured with a drop of red food colouring. I didn't have red cabbage available, or I would have tried colouring the eggsheet pink with the cabbage. Please only use the eggwhite to make the eggsheet, because if you use the egg yolk too, the pink colour is not going to show - or maybe it would, but you'd have to use way much more food colouring, which I do want to avoid.


Pink Eggsheet - make 1 (diameter: 30 cm)
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1 teaspoon tapioca or corn flour, mixed with 3 tablespoons water
  • 1 drop red food colouring
  • Oil to grease a non-stick pan.
Directions
  • Mix all ingredients well.
  • Use a kitchen strainer to sieve the eggwhite.
  • If you still see some bubbles, remove them with a spoon. This will make sure that the eggsheet turns out smoothly.
  • Oil a non-stick pan with a kitchen paper.
  • Pour the eggwhite mixture and heat the pan under very low heat.
  • When the top part of the eggsheet gets slightly glossy and hardens, you may turn off the heat.
  • Be careful not to break the eggsheet when you remove it from the pan.



Do you see the pretty pink cloth with polka-dots pattern underneath the bento box? It's actually a furoshiki, but since I usually eat my bento at home, I love using it as decor for my bento photo session :).



Bookmark and Share
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

34 comments:

  1. TOOOOOOO CUUUUUUUUUTE. I hope this wasn't your for your hubby. LOL! I gotta show this to my daugther... I love your new bento box. Very traditional looking and it's my favorite style. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Nami - Hehehe...No, this bento was for me ;), my husband got the wontons but from a plate ;). I love the new bento box too! I look forward to having more traditional-style bento boxes...!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sooo cuteeee!!! Esperanza dored this when I show her!! she really loves and me too!!! You are a master dear Cooking!! all is perfect!! we love hello Kitty! gloria

    I love boxes too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG Esperanza now wants travel to Germany to learn Bentos with you!!!!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Gloria - thanks Gloria :)! You yourself always make wonderful dessert and yes sure, if we were neighbours I wouldn't mind making bentos with your daughter ;).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the petite persimmons?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always wanted to make a cute Bento meal, but somehow it has always been put off again and again! Love your creativity that just comes naturally! The Hello Kitty is really cute! You are really, really good! And I love all your Bento boxes and decor! Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it. So cute! I also love the name of your candy bar - have not seen that before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi There, This is looking Gorgeous. A very well made post with beautiful pictures. Loved the new combo of ingredients and the recipe is so nicely made and presented. Its always fun to see ur appetizing recipes.Saving this recipe of urs and wud love to give ur version a try on the coming weekend. Have a great day….Sonia !!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, BEAUTIFUL!! Love your new bento box, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a yummy and very artistic food presentation.. Love it..:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. the pig hello kitty looks so cute!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Piggy Bento looks so cute and lovely. Delightful array of veggies as well.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your new bento boxes, but what makes them really cute is the food that you put in them! I love your Hello Kitty Piggy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful blog! The pictures are amazing too! I love this Piggy Hello Kitty Bento! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looking at your bentos is always a pleasure!

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  17. Omg I am simply in love with bento boxes and your wooden one looks amazing. Your hello kitty looks too good to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I LOVE HELLO KITTY! That's adorable! I'm glad you like your new Bento box, and I hope you have a good rest of the weekend, it sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  19. YAY for long weekends! We have one too and I'm enjoying it very much! And yay to adorable Hello Kitty bentos and wooden bento boxes too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. So cute!! I took my hubs to a ballet performance once and he's been complaining about it ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The bento is nice!
    Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. CG, your new bento box is beautiful. I would buy it only to keep things inside and use it as a container, I would be afraid it would get damaged with food. It's a wonderful decorative object.
    I also have some beautiful kitchenware or accessories that I never put in the dishwasher. Otherwise I couldn't live without the dishwasher!
    The pink eggsheet sounds very difficult to me (and impressing).

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a nicely composed photo and hello kitty is way too cute 

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awwww wie süß <3 Und gute Idee das Ei einzufärben ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am a huge fan of hello kitty and so this is just one of my favourite ones you've made so far! The wooden box is a nice touch too. I agree, it seems more traditional.

    ReplyDelete
  26. omggg cute to the maxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a cool deal with the egg sheet. Your kitty looks gadorable :) Great new box too. Can't wait to see what else you have in store for it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your bento. Looks pretty as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ohhh CG, I'm so jealous of all your beautiful bento boxes! xD
    Your Piggy Hello Kitty goes very well with that little bar of chocolate! Cute wrapper! ^.^
    Enjoy your weekend! :D

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear CG, I'm going to order this bento box. It looks fantastic with wabi sabi(侘び,寂び)feel. My grand daughter will love the Hollo Kitty / buta character.

    ReplyDelete
  31. i've never watched a opera before..i'm not sure i'll love that..i think like what you said, the story must be interesting or at least you know the story of the play, otherwise it wouldbe so boring..unlike your bentos, though i do not know how to make bentos, they still look interesting to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I think this is my favourite one so far! I also love the simplicity of the wooden boxes, so elegant and beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. sooooo cute!!!!! I loooooooooooove Hello kitty !!!

    ReplyDelete