Spicy Beef Bulgogi with Shimeji Mushrooms Bento

9 comments


How do you like my new tiffin bento box which I bought from Amazon.de? I am in love with this box because it looks very simple yet sophisticated and elegant :).

I made this bento meal for my husband yesterday. If you have seen my Marie Antoinette bento post, you'd notice that all the main and side dishes in this bento are exactly the same as the ones in my Marie Antoinette bento. This is because I made both bento boxes on the same day.

This time I used Maangchi's Beef Bulgogi recipe, but we wanted it spicy, so I added a few tablespoons of gochujang and chili pepper flakes to the bulgogi marinade. I also added minced pear for natural sweetness.

Spicy Beef Bulgogi with Shimeji Mushrooms
Adapted from Maangchi
  • 500 grams thinly sliced beef
  • 200 grams shimeji mushrooms
  • 4 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons water
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 pear, minced
  • 1/2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
  • 1 tablespoons chili pepper flakes
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 onion, sliced

Instructions

  • Mix all ingredients together (except the shimeji mushrooms) and marinade for 2 hours (I did mine in 30 minutes and it was fine too...!!)
  • Grill or stir fry the beef bulgogi for a few minutes.
  • Add the shimeji mushrooms and cook together with the beef for another 2 minutes.
  • Serve with rice and toasted sesame seeds.





REMINDER




My Bento Contest will end tomorrow, 20th December 2011, at midnight GMT+1. You still have one day to go if you want to participate in the contest.

You may send me an older bento photo as well, as long as you have never submitted this photo to another contest.

If you haven't got a confirmation e-mail from me within 24 hours after submitting your bento photo, you should let me know by sending an e-mail to cookinggallery@yahoo.de - in case that your submission goes to my spam filter...

So far here are the bento photos from all the contestants. I think they're all really creative, I am sure we'd have a hard time choosing the winners...! Enjoy looking at the lovely bentos :D)!



You can also go to my Flickr Page to read more about the contestants' bentos :).


Bookmark and Share
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

9 comments:

  1. Oooh, Looking forward to seeing the winner(s)! Some really incredible bentos on your Flickr page now, wow! By the way - what's the thing on top of the rice in the bulgogi bento? I want to say umeboshi/sour plum, but it looks too smooth...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have got the same tiffin box somewhere in my kitchen shelves. But I haven't used for more than 10 years. It was my school sandwich box and was sleeping in my shelves for years. Somehow I never thought that I could use it as a bento box instead, because I always thought that it would be leaking and that it might be a mess.
    but thanks to you I might have another try, because like you say it really looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bulgogi, it is the best and most flavourful dish! You've presented it really deliciously too

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to find a nice tiffin bento box, I find them very classic! ;)
    But I feel it's not suitable for children(???) bcoz it's made of steel and it'd be too hot to handle unless I just use it for sandwiches, fruits and food that are warm and safe.
    I love bulgogi beef and I'm very happy when my hubby didn't objected when I first cooked ground beef at home (we used to only eat beef when outside). Which part of the beef did you normally use? I bought only ground beef to be safe bcoz I'm afraid I might choose the wrong part or don't really know to cook beef and ended up with awfully tough meat. LOL ;P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are these really bento boxes? They are so elegant and original! I wonder if they could be used in the oven. (I bake my bento and then take it in the same container to work...)
    Bulgogi sounds fantastic too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Charles - You're spot on, it's umeboshi. I bought it in 'Daiso' Singapore when I visited Singapore a few months back. This umeboshi is indeed smoother, crunchier and absolutely not wet, it tastes more like pickled sweets.

    @ Saffron and Coriander - You really should, this tiffin box is gorgeous...! After all bento boxes just mean a container to put food inside.

    @ Lyn -I guess you're right that this type of bento box is probably not ideal for little children if you want to give them something warm, but you can wrap the bento box with furoshiki and it might prevent us getting 'burnt'.

    I actually bought frozen sukiyaki beef from my local Asian market, so the meat was already thinly sliced for me. I do cook beef at home. I like to buy beef steak, because it's just softer and juicier (but no doubt more expensive ;)) - but I really have no idea which part of the beef it's from, maybe tenderloin???

    @ Sissi - It's indeed a bento box :). Any type of container for food is basically a bento box. I think you can microwave it, but not sure about the oven...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I can make this. Your other bentos are quite complicated but this involved no cute car actors. I love bulgogi too. This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete