Budae JJigae - Korean Army Base Stew

9 comments
Budae Jjigae is a Korean stew 'invented' during the Korean war when meat and food in general were scarce. The Koreans used Spam, sausages, baked beans, cheese and anything else they could get from the US army base combined with other Korean traditional ingredients like Gojuchang (red pepper paste) and Kimchi to make this stew.



To be true, I had never heard of this stew until a few days ago when I came across this blog. I thought that the stew looked very interesting, combining instant ramen with spam, sausages and even cheese! I am not a big fan of spam, used to like sausages but now it's not that big anymore for me, that's why I decided to make a 'healthier' version of Budae Jjigae without the spam and sausages, but with the cheese. I guess I was just finding some excuses to make a bowl of instant ramen again, since I had forbidden myself to eat instant noodles for some time...;).

Budae Jjigae

Serves 1

1 package Korean instant ramen ( I used Shin Ramyun)

240

550 ml water

0

3 mushrooms

12

1 medium egg

70

1 tbs kimchi

10

50 g organic Tofu

53

1 leaf Nappa cabbage

1

1 sliced organic smoked cheese

89

4 slices bellpepper

1

1 tbs chives

1

1 tbs Gojuchang

??

TOTAL

477 calories per serving





What to do:
  • Bring the water to boil. Add tofu, mushrooms, nappa cabbage and gojuchang paste. Simmer for 1 minute.
  • Add the ramen noodles. When it's 'al dente', tranfer the stew into a bowl.
  • Decorate with bellpeppers, boiled egg, cheese, kimchi and chives.
  • Serve with rice!






Bookmark and Share

Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

9 comments:

  1. shin ramyun! my favorite! love the addition of cheese there...hehe let me have some this weekend :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your version of Korean stew. It's a quick meal with lots of ingredients I like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. biar campur aduk gt ada keju , sausage n kimchi tapi tetep enak kliatan nya . Menu peninggalan perang yah , ada2 aja yah !

    ReplyDelete
  5. your bowl of noodles look so tempting to me. have a nice weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That stew looks so good! You are making me hungry....

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Mochachocolata Rita - I like Shin Ramyun too, I burn my tounge quite often when eating it ;).

    @ Christine - Thank you:). This is the healthier version of the stew, the normal one uses spam, sausages, etc.

    @ Velva - Thanks:).

    @ Veny - Memang enak Ven. Aku juga gak nyangka instant noodles bisa cocok sama keju!

    @ Sonia - Thank you, Sonia. Have a visit here often :).

    @ Rosa - Try it one day, it's worth it and very easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  8. In Korean restaurants, this dish is served on a portable stove so it bubbles throughout service. Surprisingly, the noodles don't go soft. My favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this looks delicious! I love Korean flavours. Just one thing about the calories though, isn't one packet of Shin Ramyun around 500 calories? The packet explains the nutrition label is divided for 2 servings...

    ReplyDelete