Maangchi's Kimchi Pancakes - Kimchijeon

21 comments


Another delicious recipe from Maangchi - Kimchi Pancakes or Kimchijeon in Korean ;). I had always wanted to try this recipe because I love Korean pancakes and I love kimchi, so nothing could go wrong, especially because Maangchi's videos are always so clear and easy-to-follow :).




This time I used my homemade kimchi (recipe can be found here) - my first time making kimchi, and I was amazed how easy it was actually making kimchi yourself at home!! I always hesitated making kimchi at home because I thought it would be too hard to make, but I was completely wrong. The process itself was very easy with 100% success rate if you follow the step-by-step instructions from Maangchi, you just have to be patient because there's a quite long waiting time - 4 hours in total to get your kimchi ready (but basically, you don't really have to do anything during these 4 hours, you just leave your kimchi alone and do your own things while waiting).

Now, let's watch the video below (from Maangchi) to see how to make kimchi pancakes :)! I made both types, Kimchijeon with chopped kimchi and Kimchijeon with whole kimchi leaves.




Here is my adapted recipe for Kimchijeon with chopped kimchi. I added some seafood too and oyster sauce instead of salt (I love my oyster sauce...!!)

Kimchijeon with Chopped Kimchi and Seafood

Serves 2 - 4

150 g flour

546

150 g water

0

150 g squid

139

50 g shrimps

45

100 g chopped kimchi

27

3 tbs kimchi juice

2?

½ tsp sugar

8

1 tbs oyster sauce

1

½ onion, chopped

25

2 tbs oil (for frying)

240

TOTAL

1033


517 per serving (for 2 people)


258 per serving (for 4 people)





Dipping sauce

  • 5 tbs soy sauce
  • 100 ml hot water
  • 1/2 tbs sugar
  • 1 tbs chopped onion
  • 1/2 tbs chopped green onions
  • 1 tsp chopped chili
  • 1 tbs sesame oil
  • roasted sesame seeds









And this is my adapted recipe for kimchijeon with whole kimchi leaves...I slightly like this version of kimchijeon better :).

Kimchijeon with Whole Kimchi Leaves

Serves 7

7 kimchi leaves (around 100 g)

27

150 g ground pork

308

125 g minced tofu

88

1 tbs oyster sauce

1

½ onion, chopped

25

1 egg

70

1 tbs chopped chives

1

1 tsp sesame oil

60?

Flour for coating the kimchi leaves

300??

TOTAL

1120 calories


160 calories per serving





Yummy...!









Bookmark and Share
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

21 comments:

  1. Vaya rico que se ve esto. Me lo copio.


    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Chow&Chatter - Thanks!

    @ Jose Manuel - Gracias :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracias a tí por pasar por mi blog. Tienes unos platos estupendos.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love kimchi pancakes! This is what I look forward to whenever I go to a Korean restaurant. This recipe is less complex than I thought. I'm looking forward to trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could get seriously addicted to these. And it would be a habit I would never want to be cured of. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh this looks so delicious! I tasted one super duper good pajeon and decided to become a Korean pancake fan! This gives me another idea for the pancake...love looking at your yummy pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mouth is watering at these photos! You've done a marvellous job here and they look wonderful! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. interesting combination!!! Im a kimchi lover too. but when I eat Kimchi - i either have to have coke with me or water because I can't eat that much spice lah. hehe

    jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. These pancakes look mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've done a marvellous job here and they look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. very interesting blog...the photographs are awesome....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! this looks so healthy and I'm going to put that into my baking list. I think it is so much better to make homemade ones rather than premix pancake flour. It's so easy. Thanks for sharing dear!

    Weng
    I heart My Bakes

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful picture..looks so perfect and yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmmm....my favourite. Your kimchi pancakes looks very delicious. The colour is very beautiful. I love kimchi...very appetising and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Could these look any better? I love kimchi, so I'm sure I would love these kimchi pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow those pancakes look so fun! I always stray away from making homemade asian foods because the ingredients are so complicated, but these look simple enough.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Fresh Local and Best - I love ordering Korean pancakes too when I visit Korean restaurants:).

    @ Carolyn - I am addicted to these pancakes as well ;).

    @ Allie - thank you, I am glad I've given you more ideas!

    @ NQN - Thank you, you're sweet!

    @ Jen - I love spicy food but cannot eat too much of it either ;)

    @Angie, Eliana, Roshan - Thank you :).

    @ Weng - It's not worth it using a pancake mix for this one, because you can so easily make it at home yourself, taste better too!

    @ Sarah, Mary, Monet - Thanks for the kind comments!

    @ Maren - Yea, Asian foods can be quite complicated sometimes, but this recipe here is quite easy to make!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, YUM! This is like nothing I've never had before...it sounds so amazing =)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yummy kimchi pancakes and nice shots too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm always surprised at how easily so many things can be made at home =] I can't really stand spicy food so I don't really like kimchi....
    but your pancake looks delicious!! Especially with your additions- I love replacing salt with oyster sauce =D

    ReplyDelete