Totoro & Chu Totoro in the Forest Bento

22 comments


As some of you know, I wasn't very happy with my very first Totoro bento, because I felt that the Totoro didn't look so much like the real Totoro and the grey part looked so rough because I didn't grind the black sesame seeds. Anyway, I did a bit of research today about Totoro, the story and the other characters involved because I've never watched the film. I even watched the trailer from YouTube and found him totally adorable, making me want to make another Totoro-themed bento...! Totoro is also now on the list of DVDs which I want to borrow for our future 'movie night' :).

So, here's my second Totoro-themed bento with Totoro and Chu Totoro (I didn't even know before that there are 3 types of Totoro - the biggest one and the most popular one, Totoro, is a grey, gigantic, friendly spirit of the forest. The middle one, Chu Totoro, is blue and usually carries a sack of acorns on its back. The smallest one is Chibi Totoro, which is white and can run very fast. For more information about the Totoro characters, you can click this link here.

Since I made the Totoros with quail eggs, Totoro and Chu Totoro are equally big (Totoro is supposed to be much larger than Chu Totoro), I do find them quite cute though. Next time when I make another Totoro bento, I'll try to include all three Totoros and make sure that Totoro is much larger than the other two Totoros.

I coloured Totoro with soy sauce and Chu Totoro with red cabbage (simply cook some chopped red cabbage for a few minutes until the water turn purple. Remove the cabbage and let the quail eggs sit in this purple water for a few minutes until they turn light blue). The eyes, nose and the 'tummy markings' are made out of nori. I used this quail egg puncher to make the eyes, nose and markings - made my life so much easier. The whiskers are soba noodles.

The Totoros are sitting on top of Vietnamese Beef Pho noodles :D). This is certainly not a bento which you can really bring to work (or uni or school) because of the soup - unless you make instant pho noodle soup, then you can just bring the seasoning sachets with you and add the hot water at work.

The recipe for the noodle soup is here.

Bookmark and Share
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

22 comments:

  1. Oh CG! This is totally too cute!!! xD
    Love the nice blue dye color! You're always the best! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! They're so cute... you really have a talent, keep it up for more :) Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! I'm gonna have to add Totoro to my movie queue as well :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are really a perfectionist! Keep you the wonderful work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. CG...thanks for making Totoro again! Super adorable! I can't believe you use tiny quail eggs to make these Totoro figures. I'm way too excited to see 3 totoros in your bento. My kids love watching Totoro repeatedly and I can't believe that movie is made in 80s! My generation and my kids generation watch it... Great job CG!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG that is the cutest bento I've ever seen! I had to call my 7 year old daughter over so we can admire the photos together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha! That is so cute, your Totoro is really good and that is very clever using quail eggs CG! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look so cute! I will have to watch it too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! this looks amazing! I really enjoy vietnamese food. couldn't eat a lot of yummy things when i visited Hanoi because i am vegetarian :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aaah this is too cute. I love Totoro!

    ReplyDelete
  11. sooo cute... omg.. how could you dare to eat this?

    such eye candy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bentos just keep getting cuter and cuter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bellissimo! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is really wonderful. Keep up the great work. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. K A W A I!!!!
    Totoro is one of my son's favorite movie. He watched it again and again and again that the song keeps running around my head for few YEARS! :p

    Thanks for the blue coloring tips!! we are not allowed to use food coloring for kids obento at school....i hope there's red cabbage here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute! They do look like mice to me somehow but they are still superduper cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You made wonderful Totoros there! :D I hope you'll enjoy the movie! I love Miyazaki's movies, and My Neighbor Totoro is a very cute one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow..so cute!!! I love all of them. May be I should try to make like this one day. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have almost missed your beautiful Totoro bento!!! It's so difficult to believe the Totoros are edible!

    ReplyDelete
  20. hi, i'm just back from my holidays and i thought just came over to see what have you been making. I just saw your moomins..i never knew all these characters, incl this one..but they just look so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is still one of my absolite favourite.... i love it love it love it... ms. Baggins

    ReplyDelete