Szechuan Wontons & Udon Noodle Soup Bento

27 comments


I was totally hungry when I arrived home today, it was half past five and I had not eaten anything the whole day. This is a quite bad habit of mine, I don't usually have breakfast in the morning because I always like to stay in bed as long as possible before I rush to go to work ;). I knew I had to starve for a few more hours if I started making a charaben (character bento), that's why I made a quick (but extremely satisfying) dinner instead - Udon noodle soup with Szechuan wontons. I love this type of meal - very homey, comforting and filling. I don't even mind having it everyday...!

I usually always have a stock of frozen homemade dumplings, because I know it can be very practical, especially for such a time like today when I'm starving but I don't really feel like cooking much. You only need to cook the dumplings for a few minutes, add udon noodles, dashi powder, a bit of soy sauce and mirin and voilĂ ....it's ready...! Well, I did add some chopped green onions, Szechuan chili oil, Chinkiang vinegar, fried onions and toasted sesame seeds to make the dumplings a la Szechuan. If you're interested to see the recipes, click the two links above.



The udon noodle soup is garnised with half a semi hard-boiled egg, green onions, blanched carrot flowers, toasted sesame seeds, Shichimi togarashi (Japanese 7-spice powder) and half a strawberry. If you want to bring something like this to work, I do suggest not to include the soup stock with the noodles, because in the end the noodles would get soggy (it might leak too...!). I would simply bring a sachet of dashi powder, then when you want to eat the noodles, you simply have to add boiling water and the dashi powder.

If you are curious where I got the bento boxes, they're from CasaBento. It's a combination of my Hanako Kokeshi bento box and my Urara Bento Box Brown.

That's it for now... Maybe I'll make bento again tomorrow, but I cannot guarantee it...! So, see you (hopefully) tomorrow :).

Bookmark and Share
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

27 comments:

  1. Those carrot flowers are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I also rarely have breakfast. I like sleeping :)
    This meal looks so yummy. I love udon noodles and the carrots look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Con lo que me gusta el wonton, que delicia.

    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those wontons look so tasty! I do the same thing, I keep a stock of frozen wontons at the ready for quick and yummy lunches :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks delicious, esp. those dumplings. i was going to ask you, how do you find all the right ingredients when you live in europe? that's seriously awesome how global this world has become!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi CG! I like your round bento box! This is such a fulfilling bento (but I can eat the entire thing!). This one proves you can cook non-character bento as well. Now I start to see that you don't need a cake to decorate, you can do the same with food!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for your comment on my blog! What I see here looks totally awesome! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your bentos, they're artwork! :D And I totally adore your carrot flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa, those Szechuan wontons look spicy!!! M'mmmm!
    Like the egg too - they look perfect. Do you know there is an app on iphone called Egg Timer allow you to make perfect egg :-P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both your Udon noodle soup and Szechuan wontons are making me droops! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow...looks divine...excellent presentation dear..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  11. yums yums..you make me hungry now..

    ReplyDelete
  12. i want the wontonnn..must be taste good. :) can't wait to see your nex bento!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is truly lovely and yummy! I especially love the flowers. CG, which cutter do you use to cut that flowers?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious flavours and would love to try the wantons,

    ReplyDelete
  15. My mum always used to freeze home-made dumplings too. It's a great idea which I rarely put into practice, since my freezer is really small :-( Everything looks delicious and so colourful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i just had a look at the wonton in your older posts, it looks really mouth watering. This is a fabulous meal!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, you don't need a cute cartoon character to make your meal beautiful! This is lovely as it is and looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. how creative, I can imagine this after a long day of work..is super yummy!!

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is soooo cute! Totally adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great looking wontons ever! Yummy Chinese- Japanese style bento!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ Tata - I used a flower cookie cutter and a metal decorating tip to make the round hole in the middle :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow...this is your idea of quick? It would take me forever just to assemble a bento like this so prettily :) I didn't have lunch yesterday, and I was so hungry by the time I went home, I just ate whatever I could find before I started to look for something to cook :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello CG
    ALl your bentos look REALLY awesome -artistically yummylicious! Pls could you share how do you cut/shape the carrots? Do you use a special cutter or are they manually craved out to individualy shapes? I would truly love to learn how do you get the hole in the middle of the carrot, would appreciate your guidance!

    Many thanks!
    Ling

    ReplyDelete
  24. @ Anonymous (Ling) - Hi Ling, thanks for stopping by :). I used a flower shaped cookie cutter to cut out the carrot and a decorating tip to make the round hole in the middle. I hope this helps :)! Happy bentoing :)!

    ReplyDelete