White Koala Bulgur Pilaf Bento

12 comments


Don't worry...No koalas have been harmed during my bento making process ;). Do you know that koalas are not only grey but there are some white ones too even though they're quite rare ? I wanted to make another koala-themed bento because I really like my first koala bento. I thought about using quail eggs and colouring them grey (but I really didn't know (and still don't know) how to get grey-coloured eggs), but then I remembered that not all koalas are grey, there are white ones too, how convenient, in the end I didn't even have to colour anything:). I decided to use mini mozzarella cheese instead of quail eggs to make the two mini white koalas, because I like the idea of eating pilaf with mozzarella. These mozzarella koalas are made out of: mozarella cheese, nori for eyes, black olive for the nose and chili sauce for the rosy cheeks.

I also made bulgur pilaf for today's bento. I'd never eaten bulgur in my life, so I was very curious. I invented the recipe myself and I was quite happy with the result, bulgur is definitely something that I would eat from time to time when I am bored with normal white rice, it's healthier too because it doesn't have as much carb as white rice.

The right bento box is a normal salad bento with rucola, cherry tomatoes, quail eggsy, mozzarella, radish, croûtons, majoram, olive oil and ground black pepper.



Bulgur Pilaf
  • 250 grams bulgur
  • 500 ml water (I think...)
  • 4 mini green chili peppers, seeded and sliced thinly
  • 2 mini yellow peppers, seeded and sliced thinly
  • 2 mini red peppers, seeded and sliced thinly
  • 2 mini orange peppers, seeded and sliced thinly
  • 1 tablespoons minced/chopped garlic
  • 1 large onion, sliced
  • 4 dried chillies
  • 80 grams green beans, cut into 5 cm pieces
  • 200 grams turkey breast, cut into cubes
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons tomato puree
  • chicken powder to taste
  • A pinch of paprika powder, garlic powder and cumin powder

Don't forget, my giveaway ends TONIGHT, 31st May 2011, at midnight GMT +1. Click the banner below to find the details and enter the giveaway...!

http://cookinggallery.blogspot.com.au/2011/05/bento-giveaway.html
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

12 comments:

  1. Aw! More white koalas please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cooking we love so much Bulgur and pilaf so this is amazing and sooo cute!!

    My daugther said may she learn with you??? She adore Bentos! LOL
    gloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Yummychunklet - probably one day, I'll make more koala-themed bentos ;).

    @ Gloria - Thank you, Gloria...:)! I feel honoured that even your daughter visits my blog, if she lived nextdoor I wouldn't mind making bento together with her ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi CG,
    often I don't leave any comment to your postings, it's not becoz I'm not interested or I don't read it or anything, but I just don't want to make u bored with my always the same kind of amazement and gasps of all your extraordinary creations! such a pro you are! many thumbs up :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! I really didn't know that there are white koalas! :P
    Did you cook your bulgur like fried rice? It looks so delicious!
    Since the day you used the mini mozarella cheese in your bentos, I kept searching for it but too bad, I can't find any here. :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi CG,

    You have always amazed me with your beautiful bentos. White koalas look so cute. Great preparation.
    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you use colorful produce.. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is way too adorable! And what a great idea to use bulghur!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great bento, as usual! That pilaf looks very tasty...gonna have to try that :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. delicious bulgur pilaf and beautiful bento

    ReplyDelete
  11. My goodness, CG! Your bento looks so amazing! Now I have you and Lyn to check on in case I find the time to make bentos for my girls!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmm. I´m getting hungry x3

    ReplyDelete