Chirashi Sushi

24 comments


This is my first time making Chirashi sushi. I was actually never tempted to try Chirasi sushi because I thought that Chirashi sushi always meant sushi rice topped with raw fish, because that's what I always saw in restaurants (and I am not that fond of raw fish, I only can eat raw salmon so far). But then I saw some chirashi sushi posts by Shizuoka Gourmet - he's a French national (I think) living in Shizuoka, Japan. His Japanese wife makes him the most mouthwatering bento, which he posts in his blog regularly, along with his other stories and and pictures of his food adventures in Japan.

Correct me if I am wrong, but apparently chirashi sushi simply means sushi rice (rice mixed with vinegar, salt and sugar) topped with any kind of ingredients you like. Since I love sushi, I thought that I really should give chirashi sushi a try.

Basic Sushi Rice
  • 3 cups short grain rice
  • 3 cups water
  • 1/2 cup rice vinegar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • a pinch of salt
Instructions
  • Wash the rice until the water almost runs clear.
  • Cook the rice/water mixture in a rice cooker.
  • Make the vinegar/sugar/salt mixture in a separate bowl.
  • When the rice is cooked, pour in the vinegar mixture and gently mix the rice.
Topping Suggestions
  • Scrambled egg
  • Shiitake mushrooms, julienned and simmered in soy sauce, mirin, a pinch of sugar and dashi powder
  • Boiled Shrimps
  • Sugar snap peas, sliced
  • Cucumber, julienned
  • Blanched lotus root, thinly sliced
  • Tobiko (Flying fish roe)
  • 1 boiled egg, quartered
  • Nori (roasted seaweed), cut into thin strips
  • Toasted sesame seed



Verdict: Chirashi sushi is definitely worth a try! It's delicious and easier than sushi rolls to make :).

Today's song is again from Ayumi Hamasaki, called 'Mirrorcle World'.




Bookmark and Share
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

24 comments:

  1. I love this, so delicious and easy to make.Your fruits caught my eyes, lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the shrimps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful beautiful bento set! As always, you're such a creative cook! I love all your bento. Happy weekend.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and simple. Perfect for a quick lunch at the office and can be prepared early in the morning

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum!!! From what I can understand, chirashi itself means scatter. So to make chirashi sushi, as you said, you scatter the ingredients on top of the sushi rice. I`m sure Nami will come with a better explanation for chirashi, though ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks wonderful and like you said so much easier than the rolls. So fresh and colorful! Hope your weekend is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool! Great video again too :) Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just saw a recipe making Chirashi sushi and thought of making it too. Your Chirashi sushi looks so delicious with the pretty color :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really convenient recipe to satisfy my sushi cravings ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. CG, I have never heard about Chirashi Sushi, but yours seems as delicious as usually and looks beautiful.
    Shizuoka Gourmet website is inspiring for Japanese cuisine fan, isn't it? I also find his wife's bentos incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi CG! Chirashi sushi is definitely so much easier than rolled sushi!
    Best is we can go with almost everything! :D
    This is something like the 'economic rice' selling in SG where by we choose any dishes from their wide range of SG homecooked style dishes :)
    Tks for sharing this great Chirashi sushi! Now I've got much more easier ideas for my girls' bento if I don't have any ideas. So fast that Messy's sch vacation is ending this week and she had already told me what she wants on Monday! ^.^
    Btw, I presumed you must love the red radish coz you always have them in your bentos but I'm curious how it taste like? I saw them at the supermarket before, dare not buy as I'm not sure of the taste & it'll be wasted if nobody eats! LOL
    Have a great weekend! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a Japanese dish that I really really like! In fact I have a recipe for it in my new cookbook coming out in September. I also used scrambled eggs and veggies, but no prawns (being a vegetarian), pity I couldn't use lotus roots, they are so pretty! But I had to limit myself to ingredients that are very easy to find in most English speaking countries.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your chirashi-zushi looks delicious with the renkon, sugar snap peas, shrimp, and eggs. This kind of sushi is so easy to prepare and is just as tasty :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am also not so found of raw fish, and just like you only tried salmon. Your Chirashi - looks beautiful and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh man me too! i've always thought chirashi means loads of raw fish on sushi rice!! haha. i think we're too similar - i'm only eating raw salmon so far too (it's a big progress already!).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi CG! I received my Giveaway prize from CasaBento this noon! :D
    Messy loves those cute animal picks and I was thinking to use it for her bento tomorrow (sch starts)! Thank you so much and hope you had a relaxing great weekend! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  17. @ Sissi - Yes, you're absolutely right! His site so interesting for people who are interested in the Japanese cuisine.

    @ Lyn - thank you for your kind comment :). I am sure I will make more Chirashi sushi too in the future because it's very simple and delicious! About the radish, I was like you in the beginning, I didn't dare to try it and it was always my husband who ate it ;), I mainly used it for decoration. But then I tried it in salad, sliced thinly, and eaten with vinaigrette dressing. It's actually totally okay, crunchy and refreshing. Give it a try and first eat it as salad to get used to it....And...I am so happy that the prize has finally arrived, it does take quite some time, doesn't it? I know that the other winner, who lives in the Netherlands, has got her prize a few weeks ago...! Anyway, as long as you got it, it's fine :D).

    ReplyDelete
  18. you're always welcome CG! :D
    Actually I just bought a packet of the red radish today and I shall use your suggestion in salads first. Tks CG! ^.^
    I supposed it might had already arrived few days ago coz my parents seldom open their mailbox, so everytime when we open, it's always so full that it's gonna 'burst'!LOL Tks again CG! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your chirashizushi looks delicious! Great idea to make a flower with renkon and tobiko!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i'm not sure if this is my first time seeing you putting lotus roots but i think it's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjyoed the Ayumi Hamasaki music video. She is a big star in Japan but you already know that. I think this is fantastic looking chirashi zushi. I love renkon!

    ReplyDelete