Tangsuyuk: Korean-Style Sweet and Sour Pork

7 comments


Two days ago I received the Korean cookbook which I ordered from Amazon.de. It's in German and written by three Korean women who have settled in Germany for a few decades. The book is beautifully illustrated by Tina Kraus and I was very thrilled by the cookbook since I am a real sucker for good, colourful illustrations - if you are more into photos, then this book is not really for you, but if you love something delicious and artistic at the same time, I highly recommend this cookbook :).



The cover says what the cookbook is about:
The Korea-Cookbook - Pictures, Stories, Recipes




The cookbook costs €19,95 which I think is quite decent for 160 pages of delicious recipes and heartwarming illustrations.



A sample of two pages from the cookbook.

Usually I love to look at Maangchi's site, Aeri's Kitchen or Beyond Kimchee when I want to cook something Korean, but I still love 'old-fashioned' (cook)books which I can hold in my hands - in fact I do have a collection of them...:)!

Originally the recipe in the book is called Dwaejigogitwigim - Fried sweet and sour pork, but after doing some research, I couldn't find any recipes with the Korean name Dwaejigogitwigim, instead most (Korean/ and non Korean) people refer to Korean-style sweet and sour pork as Tangsuyuk - that's why I decided to stay with this name, or are there any Koreans out there who would like to enlighten me with the difference between Dwaejigogitwigim and Tangsuyuk? I'd be very grateful :)!

Korean-Style Sweet and Sour Pork - serves 4

Adapted from
Das Korea-Kochbuch
  • 600 grams pork, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 2 cups tapioca starch
  • Oil to deep fry the pork

Marinade sauce

  • 3 cm ginger, minced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 3 teaspoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoon sesame oil
  • Black pepper to taste

Sweet and Sour Sauce

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 3 slices of canned pineapple, cut into bite sized pieces
  • 1/2 onion, sliced
  • 1 carrot, sliced thinly
  • 1 sweet pepper, cut into cubes
  • 1 spring onion, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon tapioca starch, mixed with 3 tablespoons water
  • 400 ml water
  • 3 tablespoons vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

  • Marinade the pork pieces with the marinade-sauce for 2 hours (I only waited for 20 minutes).
  • Cover each pork piece with tapioca starch before deep frying.
  • Sweet and Sour sauce: Heat oil in wok and stir fry the onion and carrot until slightly brown.
  • Add water and the rest of the sauce ingredients (except the sweet pepper and spring onion). Cook for 1 minute.
  • Add the sweet pepper cubes and spring onion slices just before you turn off the heat. Mix well.
  • Serve the sauce on top of the deep-fried pork pieces.

This recipe is very delicious, the only thing that could have been better is the pork bites, they could have been crispier. I think the batter from the Korean Fried Chicken would be perfect for the pork.



Bookmark and Share
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

7 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmm Korean food always looks so nice, but I don't think I am quite brave enough to try and make it yet!! I have eaten it in restaurants though and its always so delicious! Maybe I should try making some at home sometime!

    Kitty xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! Ive had this before! Very good~

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks wonderful and what a lovely book your right great illustrations

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks very delicious CG! While majority of cookbooks are all photograph, it's really nice to see illustrations in cookbook. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The book looks really nice, and also different in design and presentation. Good find!

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, the book looks amazing! I love all the cute drawings! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it really just tapioca starch used to "coat" the pork? Wow, I'd always thought it might be battered or something... Ok, now I so need to try this. I love sweet and sour pork, and best of all, my wife hates it so it'll all be mine :D

    ReplyDelete